Saturday 9 November 2013

Different types of Football in Australia versus American Football.

 

Australia Football versus American Football.

http://www.afl.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/AFL/Articles/nic%20nat%20hero.jpg

Of the many things that I am learning about Aussie culture is Football and is engrained. It is called Footy. The players don't wear helmets or any protective gear. The games are about 15 minutes longer. The half time and pre-game entertainment is more interesting and enjoyable. I can see this at every game though.

Then, there is rugby. It is based on similar rules. I never could keep up with the players. I am not into it. It is just as entertaining any movie or soap opera. Every year, a big entertainment half time show is put up at this event called the State of Origin. It is about the equivalent of the Superbowl in the US. Usually it is between Queensland and NSW blues. the action between the fans is just as intense, as the game itself.


https://scontent-b-mia.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1395818_10151964531261894_944924565_n.jpg

Back in the US, football is a big thing.As it was in Texas, the team of choice was the Dallas Cowboys going to the Superbowl. The fans were rowdy and loud. They would go around saying," "How 'bout 'em Cowboys."

http://www.dallasnews.com/incoming/20110419-8101005p_super_bowl_xxvii_3944107.jpg.ece/BINARY/w620x413/8101005P_SUPER_BOWL_XXVII_3944107.JPG 

I didn't know that much about it. I knew to always root for the winning team. I remember one year that a co-worker that gotten the winning Superbowl 1995 football signed by the quarterback for the Dallas Cowboys. I was living in Dallas at the time.

 Then,I learned about the Australia version of the same game where the players didn't wear any protective gear. It was confusing to me beause I didn't have any knowledge about the game,but I did enjoy the halftime show and pre-game for the State of Origin.


I watch as entertainment because kills time even though I don't know anything about rugby. I just find it a good way to kill boredom. But, the fans on both side can be rowdy and do crazy things such as get into brawls with other fans. They destroy property and cause problems in bars where the game is being televised.

The State of Origin is the Australia version of the Superbowl. It draw celebrities and politicians to  the game. They come for the most important reason is enjoy themselves and to spend time with their families most of all.

No comments:

Post a Comment